This post is a sponsored conversation by UnitedHealthcare; all opinions are my own.
Health insurance open enrollment is over for this year, and hopefully, you managed to get an insurance plan that is just right for you. So now you have this shiny new policy, but now what? What are the next steps to make sure that you make the most out of your health insurance benefits?
Some questions you may have are:
- What does my plan start?
- Can I use my current doctor?
- How do I choose a doctor?
- Do I need a referral?
- When do I get my ID card?
- Who do I contact with questions?
Well never fear, while you still may have a ton of questions, it’s not as complicated as you thought, and it’s pretty easy to get the answers you are looking for.
- When it comes to health plan questions, the first thing you need to do is write down all of your questions in a place where you have plenty of room to write responses and keep it in a safe place. It’s not like you use your health insurance every day, and it’s easy to forget the answers to things if you aren’t using it frequently.
- Don’t be afraid to ask any question, no matter how small you think it might be.
- In many cases, you can find answers to your questions online regarding your plan, but if it is through your employer, they may have someone who can help you navigate your new plan.
- If you have a doctor already, make sure they are on your plan before you get sick. If they aren’t on your plan, research a new doctor before you get sick. Some doctors have longer wait times for new patients and you don’t want to find out you have to wait two months to get seen for an emergent condition.
- Make sure you understand if you need a referral to a specialist. You may not want to see your primary care doctor for something specific if you don’t need a referral, especially if you have a co-pay, deductible or cost-share.
A little bit of planning goes a long way and can really help make your first use of your new insurance a lot less stressful.
UnitedHealthcare wants to help you make the most of your health plan benefits by helping you navigate some health facts, learn how to use your new plan (or learn more about your existing plan) and ensure that you understand some key health care terms. And they are giving you the chance to win great prizes along the way.
How cool is that?
Weekly and Monthly Prizes
You can enter to win one of 12 – $100 weekly prizes and one of 3 – $500 monthly prizes from UnitedHealthcare when you learn how to make the most of your health plan benefits.
There are three ways to enter to win all the while learning about, or brushing up on, your health insurance knowledge.
1. Health Facts 1 2 3: A simple, 3 question multiple choice (or true/false) quiz about how to use your health care plan
2. Look and Learn: A short video about what steps you take after enrolling in a health care plan. After watching it, you must answer one question that pertains to the video.
3. Perfect Match: A memory/concentration game with generic health care terms, which helps you understand the basic terminology that you may come across in your health care plan.
Each entry method has four $100 weekly winners (one each week) and one $500 monthly winner. Sweepstakes runs through February 28th.