This post is Sponsored by Mars Veterinary Wisdom Panel 3.0.
When we adopted our dogs from the shelter we were told that one was a Husky mix and the other was a Hound mix. Obviously it’s a guessing game based upon what the dog looks like and how big it is. But we didn’t adopt them based upon what they looked like. We adopted them because of what they acted like. They were the perfect fit for our family.
But over time, I admit to being a bit curious about their actual origin. It’s not going to change the way I feel about them, but it would be fun to know what they are actually made of.
We are pretty sure that Toby is not a Husky mix, but a Schnauzer mix. Mixed with what? I can’t even begin to guess.
Sadie is likely a hound mix. We are guessing that she has Whippet or even Basenji in her.
In the past when you had adopted a mutt, you were simply left wondering and speculating. Their true origins would always remain a mystery.
But why does it matter what your dog’s breed ancestry is?
You can certainly have a healthy mixed breed dog without knowing their origin, but the insight of knowing can help provide additional, critical information regarding proper nutrition, training techniques and the overall health of your furry family member. Knowing their breeds can help provide targeted information that may potentially be lifesaving.
For example, did you know that there is a canine genetic mutation called Multi-Drug Resistance 1 (MDR1) that may cause severe adverse reactions to medication for some dogs?
And now thanks to the Wisdom Panel 3.0, you can get the insight you want and possibly need for your dog.
Benefits of DNA testing your dog:
- Test for drug sensitivity and the MDR1 mutation.
- Ability to develop a training program that works towards the dog’s natural instincts and breed-based behaviors.
- Ability to develop the best possible nutrition plan for a healthy life.
- Provides awareness so you can look out for potential breed-based illnesses.
- It’s just fun to know!
About Wisdom Panel 3.0:
- Wisdom Panel 3.0 can test mixed-breed, designer and purebred dogs, over 250+ breeds including all of those recognized by the AKC.
- Can provide breed ancestry info all the way back to the great-grandparent level.
- Tests for the MDR1 Genetic Mutation
- Testing can be done right at home using 2 swabs that you rub between the dog’s cheek and gum.
- Takes around 2-3 weeks to receive results.
The test was very easy to use and my dogs didn’t mind overall, though we did need two people, one to hold them and the other to do the swab.
I can’t wait to receive our results!
Pet event with on-site swabbing
If you are interested in finding out the origin of your dog’s ancestry and you live in Scottsdale, AR, you can attend the Holiday Pet Festival with your dog on Saturday, December 5th and get the swabbed for only $39.99. If you don’t bring your dog and want to take a kit home, you can purchase one at the event for $49.99. The regular price of the Wisdom Panel 3.0 DNA test is $89.99 so this is a fantastic price! Wisdom Panel 3.0 will be on-site with information and to answer any questions you may have.
If you can’t attend the event or don’t live near Scottsdale, make sure you connect with Wisdom Panel 3.0 on social media for more information on future events and product discounts.