Around here, sweet potatoes are a staple. I eat them almost every day, and my husband and my son don’t mind them every once in awhile. My daughter, however, has not embraced the sweet potato in the same way. In fact, she insists she hates them.
More for me.
White potatoes are one of those things that have gotten a bad rap. They do have nutrients and are certainly a better option than processed food, so I don’t fight it too much. Plus I do adore some garlic mashed potatoes every once in awhile. But I also want to add variety to our diets to increase the amount of nutrient dense foods we are eating.
So to help bridge the gap, I combined them both into a single dish I call oven roasted seasoned potatoes, and it turned out amazing!
|Oven Roasted Seasoned Potatoes #paleo #gluten-free|| |
- 3 lbs potatoes (any kind we used about 75% sweet potatoes, 25% white potatoes)
- 2 tbsp dried minced onion (or a small whole diced onion)
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 6 tbsp melted butter
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp black pepper
- ⅓ cup fresh herbs (packed tightly) or ¼ cup dried herbs (any combination you like, we used equal parts dill weed, Italian seasoning, and all-purpose seasoning which contain: marjoram, sage, paprika, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, basil & thyme)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Cut raw potatoes into 1 to 1-1/2 inch cubes
- Butter a shallow pan or baking dish (or line with foil)
- Place potatoes in dish
- Sprinkle herbs over potatoes
- Melt butter and mix with oil, garlic, salt & pepper in a small bowl and drizzle over potato and herb mixture
- Bake 45-60 minutes, stirring frequently until potatoes are browned and tender
This dish would be great with the addition of other root veggies too, I can’t wait to experiment with different combinations.
What veggies would you add to this dish?