In my house,
my kids are I am very picky about certain things in my food.
First lettuce never, ever is allowed to touch a sandwich.
Second, celery is not even allowed in my kitchen.
Third, I like onion flavor but I hate onions.
I’m a 40 year old child with texture issues. But I’m ok with it.
The onion thing has really been tricky for us. Onion powder usually does not replace onions in a recipe – ever. It just does not taste the same. But if I SEE an onion in my food I will pick around it, and for sloppy joes, it is messy enough.
The recipe below was adapted and improvised from 2 different recipes I discovered, neither of which would fly in my house because of the chunks of onion and peppers (I noted 3 examples above – just know that those are just a sampling of my pickyness).
It’s easy to make plus it’s kid friendly and picky adult friendly.
And it tastes great too!
|Kid Friendly Sloppy Joes Recipe|| |
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup water
- ½ to ⅔ cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp homemade taco seasoning (link provided below)
- 6 hamburger buns (we used Rudy's Organic)
- Brown ground beef in a skillet.
- Add onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper during browning.
- Remove from heat.
- Add water, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes and taco seasoning to beef mixture and stir.
- Cook until boiling, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
I used my homemade taco seasoning mixture for this recipe which is very versatile and can be used with tacos, chili, sloppy joes and more!
I was not overly optimistic that these would taste that great because I didn’t use real onions but they were really, really good. I went with the 1/2 cup ketchup and they were quite crumbly so if you want them more sticky, I would definitely increase it.