This made-from-scratch recipe was made possible by Vitamix. Blender was provided for my use but opinions expressed are my own.
Have you ever read the ingredients on a jar of mayonnaise? Compared to some pre-packaged products, mayo actually doesn’t contain too many processed ingredients.
Except one red flag.
In almost every jar.
Calcium Disodium EDTA.
Calcium Disodium EDTA is a chemical salt that is said to possibly cause kidney and liver damage among other things. It is used to treat lead poisoning and affects the levels of natural metals in your body. It is made from ethylenediamine, formaldehyde, and sodium cyanide.
Sound like something you want in your food?
Luckily it’s pretty easy to make your own mayonnaise and you can season it it your exact taste!
|Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe|| |
- 1 whole egg
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons distilled vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- Place the egg, vinegar, mustard and salt in the Vitamix
- Select variable switch and 1 on the dial
- Turn machine on and turn dial to variable 10
- Flip switch to high
- Blend for about 10 seconds then reduce speed to variable 6 or 8
- Remove the plug in the lid and slowly pour the olive oil in the Vitamix until gone
- Blend until thick (approx. 30 seconds)
- Mayo will last 2-4 weeks
With or without a Vitamix, this recipe is easy to make and has a fresher flavor than any store bought mayo. I can’t wait to experiment with new flavors.
If you don’t have a Vitamix, any blender should do, you will just have to experiment for how long it takes to blend up!
For more great Vitamix recipes: