For many of us, family and the outdoors go hand-in-hand. From camping and hiking to swimming and water sports, if your family loves the outdoors, you’ve probably tried it all.
However, there may be some fun outdoor family activities you have yet to check off your list. Keep reading to discover some cool, exciting ways to spend time with your family in the great outdoors.
Does your family like your nature with a side dish of thrills? If so, off-road ATV-riding may be just the thing you’re looking for. Use the tips below to stay safe and have the time of your lives on your family off-roading adventure:
- Stick to the trails. Never venture off into uncharted territory; instead, stick to the trails, and map out your route beforehand. Some parks and rural areas have trails specifically for ATV riders, and even provide lodging and other amenities. Since these trails are designed for fun and safety, they’re great for ATV beginners.
- Use the proper equipment. When operating or riding an ATV, always wear a helmet, gloves, boots and long pants.
- Never let young children operate ATV’s. Since younger children lack the strength, experience and judgment necessary to safely operate an off-road vehicle, they should never be allowed to operate an ATV.
- Take your time. Since accidents are often the result of fast or reckless driving, be sure to take your time, drive slowly and never attempt any moves that seem dangerous. For example, avoid overly steep inclines, don’t ride too close to ridge lines, and watch out for rocks, fallen trees and other obstructions.
- Take a training class. If you have never operated an ATV, a training class can help enhance the safety and overall enjoyment of your off-roading experience.
Like ATV-riding, go-karting can be a great way for your family to enjoy the outdoors. Whether you’re racing at a go-kart track, or riding the trails at a nearby park or outdoor recreation area, go-karting is fun and exciting for the whole family. What’s more, since go-karts are easy to operate, and provide seat belts and other safety features, they’re appropriate for adults, teenagers and even children. Go-karts are available in different sizes, which enhances safety and ease of operation, and sites like KillerMotorSports.com offer a variety of price options.
If water sports are your thing, your family will love paddle-boarding. Shaped like a surfboard, but designed for standup paddling, paddle-boards are at the center of a growing tend among water-lovers. Use the pointers below for selecting the best boards for you and your family.
- All-around boards. The all-around board is great for beginners, and is recommended for boarding on calm waters. All-around boards have rounded ends, and can even be used for fishing and lounging on the water.
- Hybrid boards. Hybrid boards have a distinctive, pointed nose, and can be used for both standup paddling and kayaking.
- Racing boards. Narrow with a pointed nose, a racing board is designed so that paddlers can gain greater speeds with less paddling.
- Kids’ boards. In most cases, child-size all-around boards are recommended for kids. For others, inflatable boards are best, as they are light, easy to maneuver, and can cushion falls in case youngsters lose their balance.
- Boards for women. For women, teenagers, and smaller adults, lighter, narrower boards are available.
Although traditional outdoor adventures like hiking and camping are great, there’s nothing wrong with throwing a little excitement into the mix. Try the fun outdoor activities listed here, and you may just find a new family favorite.