Up until a couple of weeks ago I had three vacuums. Three. And they all work. And they were all expensive, one costing over $1,000. So when I was approached by Eureka to review a Walmart exclusive $90 vacuum, my initial reaction was “do I really NEED another vacuum especially when I have the best of the best?” But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that need wasn’t necessarily as important as my curiosity about how a $90 vacuum stacks up against the rest. And not only for my own personal curiosity, but for those of you who can’t afford a vacuum that costs $500 or more.
The Eureka Clean Living Vacuum is an upright vacuum designed to reduce allergens.
The Eureka Clean Living Bagless Upright (3281AZ) is ideal for reducing allergens in the home. Experience a cleaner way to live with On-Guard Antimicrobial, Whirlwind Cyclonic Technology and HEPA Filtration.
- On-Guard Antimicrobial Bristles – Protects brushroll bristles from odors caused by bacteria.
- Whirlwind Cyclonic Technology – Maintains suction power longer with Whirlwind Cyclonic Technology.
- HEPA Filtration – Captures 99.97% of dust and allergens for a cleaner home.
- Telescopic Comfort-Grip ‘OH’ Handle – Reduces strain and offers a comfortable clean with adjustable height for each user.
- Stair & Upholstery Brush – Removes dust, dirt and pet dander from upholstery backs and stair risers.
- Washable Hypoallergenic Dust Cup Filter – Save money and lessen waste by reusing the allergen-reducing filter.
- Flip-Bottom Dust Cup – Remove dust and dirt easily in one no-hassle quick flip.
- 15″ Wide Cleaning Path – Clean floors faster with an extra-wide cleaning path.
- On-Board Tools – Clean hard-to-reach areas with dusting brush and upholstery nozzle.
- 12 Amps of Power.
My initial impression of this vacuum is extremely positive. It’s not perfect, but it does the most important thing very well – it cleans the carpet with very powerful suction. I was blown away by the amount of dirt and hair this vacuum picked up and how it made it look like brand new with fancy model home streaks. It is heavy to move around, but on the positive side, when you turn it on, it actually feels somewhat self-propelled making it very easy to vacuum.
What I liked about the Eureka Clean Living Vacuum:
- The powerful suction and excellent cleaning ability was at least equal to the expensive vacuums I currently own.
- I prefer a bagless vacuum, and the canister on the Eureka Clean Living is extremely easy to remove, empty and replace quickly back onto the vacuum. It also seems larger and appears to hold more than my other bagless vacuum. Also, I did not experience any dust flying into the air when I emptied the canister, which is a big plus, especially for a vacuum designed to reduce allergens.
- The cord is 30 feet long, allowing me to reach my entire main floor from a single outlet.
- The vacuum head height is adjustable for different carpet thicknesses and has a setting for hard floors. I love that I can set the height higher in order to vacuum my area rugs without risking them being sucked up into the vacuum.
- All the attachments fit ON the vacuum. A couple of my expensive vacuums have loose attachments that don’t fit on the vacuum so I have to find a place to keep them – inevitably losing them.
What I didn’t like or what needs improvement about the Eureka Clean Living Vacuum:
- The cord keeper doesn’t seem to be big enough to accommodate the cord unless you wrap it really, really tight.
- When you are rolling the vacuum (say to put it away) and tilt it back on the wheels, you can only give it a slight tilt for the wheels to roll smoothly. If you tilt it back too far it doesn’t seem to want to roll.
Overall, this seems like a solid machine for the money, and I’d highly recommend it as a reasonable alternative to higher priced vacuums. The real test will be in a few months or a year if it still has the same powerful suction and cleaning power as it does today, but my initial impressions are very positive. And to that the HEPA filtration, and the extra features like the adjustable handle, and I really do like this vacuum.
You can purchase this vacuum online at Walmart.com for $89.96 or check your local store for availability.