I don’t like broccoli.
But I do LOVE the nutritional benefits it has but I just need to have it pureed in order to enjoy it. So adding it to soup is the perfect solution for me.
This soup is thick.
It is filling and pretty much is all you need to make a meal.
Oh and it tastes awesome.
And not fuzzy.
- ¼ cups gluten-free flour (or arrowroot for grain-free)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ stick butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ medium onion
- 2 medium sized heads of broccoli chopped
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- In a dutch oven, melt butter oven medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for approx. 3 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir continuously until combined.
- Stir in milk, broth and heavy cream until smooth.
- Add salt, pepper and broccoli, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- When broccoli is tender add cheese and stir until melted.
- Transfer to blender and puree to desired consistency (optional).
- Return to dutch oven and keep warm until ready to serve.
Too bad I don’t eat bread, this would be amazing in a bread bowl….